Occupational TherapyCovering Geelong, The Surfcoast & Bellarine Peninsula
Occupational Therapy an Therapists.
You may benefit from seeing an Occupational Therapist if you experience any of the following:
- Difficulties performing self-care, domestic and/ or community activities
- Require assistance to participate in a leisure activity
- Workplace environment needs to be setup properly for your needs.
- Experience difficulties with work duties or university requirements
- Problems with memory or thinking abilities (cognition)
- Home environment requires modifying to enable independence and/ or increase safety
- You experience fatigue performing your daily routines
- You require technology to assist with controlling your environment, (e.g. television, switches)
Our OT has many years of experience which has provided her with a broad knowledge base and a large variety of clinical expertise who can provide the following services:
- Home assessments focusing on falls and accident prevention
- Carer Training
- Seating assessments
- Cognitive strategies / training
- Pressure care assessments
- Specialist assessments
- Prescription of daily living and rehabilitation equipment
- Mobility assessments
- Prescription of personal alarms and continence products
- Education on back care, energy conservation, and continence products
- Rehabilitation therapies
- Home modifications
- Assessment of Daily Living Skills and recommendations to maximise independence
- Major home modifications
- Reports, recommendations, and SWEP paperwork
- Follow-up care. Annual reviews and referrals to other services
Need help to live to live independently?
If you have any questions about our disability services or specific requests, simply complete the enquiry below and we will be in touch ASAP.
We are here to assist you.
A home assessment can be conducted at either the clients principle residence, residential care facility or other accommodation. Suggestions will be formulated in relation to treatment, equipment, support requirements and needs, and also the relevent services needed to improve independance and maintain safety. A collection of every day living tasks can be assessed and reviewed which include such things as: independent living skills, personal care, community activities, personal care and transportation and recreational activities. Period reviews and follow up care as needed plus referrals to relevent parties.
The range of adaptive equipment available to help improve independance and safety is wide and varied. Prescribing and assessing adaptive equipment is our speciality and includes: manual and power wheelchairs, personal care equipment, mobility aids, pressure care equipment, hoists, scooters, portable ramps, seating, continence products, and a vast assortment of others. We keep updated on the ever changing choices of adaptive equipment and encourage all of our occupational therapists stay up to date to the relevent training. We have great relationships with our suppliers so we can test and trial the latest adaptive equipment which is available.
Home modifications are recommended by our Occupational Therapists after assessing a client in their principle place of residence. These recommendations are completed to help improve the clients access and safety while performing every day tasks. We will advise and help design and coordinate any home modifications which including rails, magnetic door holders, non slip strips, ramps, lever taps and step mods. We also work with funding agencies and builders when major home modifications are required for bathrooms and kitchens, major ramp structures, platform lifts and ceiling hoists.
Please don’t hesitate to contact Geelong Disability Services in relation to our Occupational Therapy services.
Let’s Get Started
With thoughtful planning and individualised supports we help the people we support to live the best life possible.
Geelong Disability Services was established in 2015 by a couple who have lived experiences with both physical and mental illness and who wanted to provide the type of reliable competent service/s they would by happy to receive.